Thursday, 22 May 2014

5 things I learned in my first year of Blogging! :)

*Hi! Welcome to my blog if you're visiting from the "One Project at a Time" link party at A Bowl Full Of Lemons! Hope you enjoy my post! Feel free to look around some more! If you would like to know a little more about me, click here!*

Not too long ago, this blog turned one! On that day, I decided to share some of my "Blog Firsts" with you. Today, I'll share 5 things that I learned during my first year of blogging! Maybe it'll inspire you to start blogging. Maybe it'll clear up things that you've wanted to know about blogging!




1. Blogging is not as easy as it seems:
Ok, this one may not inspire you. Agreed. In fact, it might intimidate you a little. Initially, when I thought of starting a blog, I knew it would require hard work, but not that much hard work. I thought blogging consisted of taking a few pictures, inserting them between a few paragraphs of text and that's it. Actually, a blogger needs to write good content, take good photos (which I haven't got the hang of yet), edit them to look more professional, and share posts to get his/her voice out there. It is a lot of work! But, it can be done!

2. Pictures matter - a LOT:
Now my pictures are by far, very very far from the best blog pictures out there, but over the course of the past year, they have improved! Here's a picture from one of my earliest organization posts:


And here's one from my more recent organization posts:


See the difference? This above image is bigger, has better lighting, has a neat frame around it and an overlay that describes the post that follows it! If I had the above two images as thumbnails for two different posts, which one would you most likely click on? The first one or the second? The second, I presume! I've taught myself how to try to take good images with the small point-and-shoot camera that I have and edit them to best that I can with Picmonkey! 

3. It takes time:
Blogging takes time. Like I mentioned in #1 above, I thought blogging was super easy and anyone could do it. Can anyone do it? Yes, provided he/she makes time! Taking pictures, editing them and writing content worthy of being posted has definitely proven to be a challenge, especially with all the school work that I have and exams that I have to study for (Have to take the SAT & ACT in 2 weeks!), but I've been able to sort my priorities and blog when I can. If a post is delayed because of an exam, I'm fine with it because the exam is more important. Hope you understand too! While sticking to a posting schedule would be more efficient, I don't think I would be able to do so yet - on some days I have more work, others less!

4. Comments or a new follower will make your day 100x better:
You may have visited my blog from a link party or just stumbled upon it during a Google search but if you leave a comment or click "follow/subscribe", that notification makes my day 100x better! Why? Knowing that someone took the time out of their day not only to read a post on my blog, but also share their thoughts about it makes me feel ecstatic! And when I gain a new follower (or organizing lover such as myself!), it makes me feel like starting a blog was a good idea and someone out there appreciates what I write!

5. Blogging is a constant learning process:
Last, but most certainly not the least, blogging is a constant learning process. Whether it's a new blog design tip or HTML code, you will always continue to learn. At least I think so, even though I've been blogging for only a year! You will learn new HTML. You will learn tips and tricks from other bloggers. You will learn a lot about yourself too! 

That's definitely not all of the things I've learned from blogging but these 5 definitely top the list! Do any of you have blogs? If so, what have you learnt from blogging so far? If not, are you thinking of starting a blog? You won't regret it, trust me! :)

Thanks a TON for reading this post. Make sure you click follow/subscribe (buttons in the right sidebar), so you know when I post next! Thanks! :)

-Kavya :)
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you." - B.B. King

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on completing your first year of blogging, Kavya! I totally agree with everything you've learned! Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!

    ~Abby =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much for replying! It means a lot coming from you!
      Have a great weekend! :)

      -Kavya :)

      Delete
  2. Yes, you are right: blogging is harder than it seems. I wish you all the luck on your ACT and SAT!!! :)
    hugs x, Crystelle
    Crystelle Boutique

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, it sure is but it's a lot of fun! Thanks!

      Have a great day! Make sure you follow my blog if you're interested!

      -Kavya :)

      Delete
  3. You are so right on all of these points. I am closing in on a year and a half of blogging and have encountered all the things that you are talking about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice that you relate! :)
      Make sure you follow my blog if you haven't yet! Thanks!

      -Kavya :)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I'll try to reply as soon as I can! :)