Wednesday, 23 April 2014

How I gave my blog a makeover! :)

*Hi! Welcome to my blog if you're visiting from the "One Project at a Time" link party at A Bowl Full of Lemons! Hope you enjoy my post! Feel free to look around some more! If you would like to know a little more about me, click here!*

If you've read my blog for a while, then you may have noticed that I gave it a makeover! To see how it looked before, click here! It took a while and I have probably gone through thousands (ok, not that many) blog design, HTML & other related tutorials, but I think it was all worth it! I'm planning to add a few things, but for now that'll remain on hold (click here to know why). In this post, I'll mention all of my resources that I used to do the makeover!

*all links are non-affiliate* :)

#1 - Background:
I searched site after site looking for a background that I liked. I knew I wanted a subtle, patterned, blue/teal (preferably a light shade) background. Finally, I came across Fabulous Blogging's "Best Free Websites for Background Images" post and went through all of the sites. I found the current teal and white polka dot textured background on Background Labs (link for this one is here)! All I had to do was download the PNG image - it was as simple as that! This site also has some other great backgrounds, so make sure to check them out!




#2 - Color Scheme:
The background helped me decide the color scheme for the blog - I knew I wanted teal and white in it now, but I also decided that I wanted a light grey and black, with an occasional bit of navy blue. I did choose the colors based I what I thought would look nice, but for color palettes to use (or for inspiration!), Design Seeds is great too!

#3 - Header:
I used Picmonkey to design my header - just messed around with the freebies, HTML color codes and fonts until I made something I liked! I know that it's not professional and all, but I'm pretty happy with the simplicity of it!

#4 - Social Media/Subscribe buttons:
Now I'm not on a lot of social media by any means, but I am on bloglovin' and Pinterest (make sure to follow me if you haven't!) I wanted to include a simple yet noticeable way for people to follow and recieve my most recent posts! I created them using Picmonkey with social media icon silhouettes which I downloaded from Something Swanky's post. I also followed her tutorial (in the same post) to create the grey and black buttons I have!

#5 - Pages:
The post pages just had the links for certain topics. I wanted to include thumbnails as well for each post. So, I signed up for Inlinkz (free), but that offers only 1 thumbnail gallery for free. Later, I found a great tutorial from a blog that I read often to create a thumbnail post/project gallery - it does take some time, but it is worth it!
Tutorial: From A Typical English Home, here

#6 - Labels in a dropdown box:
Typically, on Blogger, labels can be set up in a list format or a cloud format. This took up quite a bit of space on my blog and instead, I used Google to find an easy tutorial to make the labels widget format in a drop down format, making the sidebar looking a little less cluttered!
Tutorial: From ProBlogTricks here

#7 - A "Pin it" button:
I'm on Pinterest! I decided to add a "Pin it" hover button to all of my own images (not ones from other sites). You may pin any of my images as long as you give proper credits! Thanks!
Tutorial: From BloggerSentral here

I created all the thumbnails for the post gallery, header & other buttons using Picmonkey.com. Also, I hosted all of my images on Photobucket.com , which I signed up for (free) and I get 2GB of storage! 

That's pretty much all I did! By far, my favorite blogger who did a ton of blogging related tutorials is Angela from A Typical English Home! You can find all of her blog tutorials here! She even has great blog freebies here! Make sure you check out her blog and follow! I've read & used almost every one of her "Blog How-to" tutorials, so make sure to take a look at them yourself (if I were to link them all, this post would be very very long!)

That's it! Thanks a TON for reading this post! Feel free to leave your thoughts about the new design in a comment below! Please make sure to subscribe/follow so you know when I post next! Thanks! :)

-Kavya :)
"Challenges are what make life interesting and overcoming them is what makes life meaningful." - Joshua J. Marine

2 comments:

  1. Outstanding efforts for making this blog!! Your writers and your work are really appreciative.essay

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I'll try to reply as soon as I can! :)