Monday, 8 July 2013

How to Organize: Your Planner! :)

*Welcome to my blog if you're visiting from the Organize It! link party! (click to go back to it!) Thanks a lot for stopping by! I hope you enjoy reading my post! :)*

Organizing your space is important. Organizing your time is important. Thus, organizing your life is important.
#1 organizing tool - the mighty planner (ok, that's a little bit dramatic) but it's 100% true. In this post, I'll tell you on how you can organize your planner (If you don't know what this series is, click here!)

*not sponsored, links are non-affiliated, images are from respective websites unless mentioned otherwise, I just wanted to provide links where you could buy the products at the best price!* :)

First off, why is a planner an essential for being organized?
  • It helps you keep track of your work - assignments, tests, presentations, etc.
  • It allows you to manage your time wisely.
  • You can see what you have to do at a glance.
  • It helps prevent procrastination!   
And much more!
Once you know why you need a planner, you need to organize that and I'll give you a few ideas on how you can do so!

[I am an 11th a 12th grader, so this is slightly more student oriented, however, I've done my best to include other ideas as well!]

Materials you may require:

1. Page flags (by Post-it) | 2. Notetabs (by Avery) | 3. Page markers (by Post-it)
 4. Highlighters 
 5. Pens of different colours (my favourite ones are the Papermate Inkjoy pens!)
 6. Different sized sticky notes (Post-its)


7. Finally, a planner! (mine is by Plan Ahead & I love it! - Click here to buy what I think is the same one for the current year!)

I took an empty page of my planner and planned it out in a few different ways! 

How to organize: 
  • Keep a notetab labelled "Month" and a flag labelled "Week" 
  • If you want you could also use smaller notetabs for each month in case you refer back to previous months often! 



1. Writing in different coloured pens:
  • Assign either each subject or work (chore, class, activity, etc) that you have a certain colour.
  • a. Write your tasks in points - like I've done above on Monday and Tuesday
  • b. Prioritize your tasks - use numbers - like I've done on Wednesday (1 - very important, 3 - not very important, 2 - kind of important) or assign each priority a different colour!
  • Pros: Simple, keeps you organized! (this is the method that I use!)
  • Cons: Takes a little bit more time to write
  • Ideal for: People who have time between their classes/work to actually sit down and write!
2. Highlighting in different colours: 


  • Just as method 1, assign each task that you have to do a colour & highlight the task in it!
  • a. (in the picture above the other one above) Highlight each task by priority - like I've done on Thursday!
  • b. Highlight each task by a particular colour - like I've done on Friday! 
  • Pros: Easy, makes your planner very colourful!
  • Cons: Takes some time to highlight everything! 
  • Ideal for: People who don't have enough time to write & highlight their tasks immediately but do later!
3. Write in coloured pens & highlight! 
  • I've done this on Saturday and honesty, you can just combine 2 or more ways to organize your planner to the max! 
  • For example, you can assign each subject/type of work a colour code for writing & prioritize by using highlighters! 
  • You will have a super-duper colourful planner if you do use this way! :) 

More tips & tricks!
  • Use a post-it page marker! (like I've done on Monday & Thursday) Stick one on an important day - whether you have a test, performance, an event to go to, a meeting, etc. 
  • Colour-code them too by assigning each page marker a colour or simply just write in whatever color you've already assigned! (I've just written an event on Tuesday's line but I think that using post-its is better! What about you?)
  • Plan ahead - Either on Sunday or the "Notes" section (if you have one), stick a small post-it note and write any events, occasions, tests, due dates, etc. so you know what's coming for you in the next week!
  • Not sure if you've noticed in the above 2 pictures but I've actually highlighted a few days' names - this is to organize any recurring activities like classes or basically, anything that occurs on a weekly basis! For example - I've highlighted Monday & Friday in 1 colour (yellow) , Wednesday & Saturday in another (green) and finally Sunday in another (blue)! Let's say, yellow and green represent 2 classes A & B respectively while blue represents that it's a holiday (I have school on Saturday too!)
  • Managing colour codes - I've mentioned SO many colour-codes, to make sure you don't mix them up (if you do colour code), write you code down in the "Notes" section or on a sticky note and place it in the back cover of your planner for easy access!
That's all! Thanks a TON for reading this long post! I hope it helped you in some way! 
Feel free to leave a comment below telling me if you are going to use any tips that I mentioned or if you have other ones, I would love to know too! Any other requests are totally accepted too! While you're at it, please go ahead and subscribe or follow so you know when I post next! Thanks! :)

-Kavya :)
"Plans are nothing; planning is everything." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

4 comments:

  1. Hello. I am a high school counselor and I just want to tell you how impressed I am by what you have started here. I constantly talk to my students about getting organized with their stuff and studies, but it is difficult to get them to stick to any systems. I am going to recommend your blog to some of my students. I hope you are able to maintain it while finishing high school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thanks so much! That's great!
      Thanks for taking the time to read my blog! (& even spread the word!) It really means a lot!
      I hope I can too but as of now, I have term exams, so I am unable to post.

      -Kavya :)

      Delete
  2. Cum a aparut Blogger: OrganizationtotheMax la mine
    pe perete?

    Here is my web site - ora exacta

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I'll try to reply as soon as I can! :)