Sunday, 26 May 2013

How to Organize: School Supplies (Desk drawer) :)

Hi! I'm pretty sure we've established how much I love school supplies! I've already told you how you can organize school supplies on your desk (haven't read it yet? Click here!). So, in this post I'll continue to tell you how you can organize school supplies but in your desk drawers. As a high school student, I prefer to have most of my supplies in my desk drawer, so I use most of these methods! Make sure you read the full post, I've saved the best for last! :)

*not sponsored, links are non-affiliated, images are from respective websites unless mentioned otherwise, I just wanted to provide links where you could buy the products at the best price!*
:)
FYI: text added on images using Picmonkey.com

Price breakdown:

$      ($5 and less)

$$    (>$5 and <$12)

$$$  (>$12)


1.
Acrylic containers:
  • Pros: Can see products clearly, already divided, very functional if you have a lot of supplies, sturdy.
  • Cons: Regular pencils do not fit (in mine), also not all products will fit perfectly (larger post-its/tabs,etc.).
  • Price: $$ (totally worth the money according to me)
  • How I organize:  
Note: Some of these are extras and some are not! :)
Also I store both ballpoint and gel pens in the 3rd compartment from the left.
  • Products:
Product Details
Amazon.com | $10.75
This is the one I have pictured above. I got it over a year ago for $7 (price increased, I guess)
It's great quality though! 

Amazon.com | $11.58
Great for smaller items (paper/binder clips,  tabs, post-its, erasers, etc.) provided you have enough to fill the box.
I personally think that method 4 (keep reading) is a lot more efficient! 
By the way, ARTBIN has some more containers - mainly for sewing and arts & crafts supplies but you could still use them for school supply storage! 
Besides that, any bead storage box should work for storing small supplies!

2.
Small trays:
  • Pros: simple, inexpensive, some of them can even be stacked to save space (in deep drawers), available in multiple sizes
  • Cons: I can't really think of any! Can you?
  • Price: $
  • Utilize: When you place these in your drawer(s), that is if you do, try to fit them like you're playing tetris!   
  • Quick tip! While you are "playing tetris", place the trays with your most reached for products in the front of the drawer so it's easy to reach!
  • Substitute: Plastic boxes without lids or just bigger lids of random boxes that you might throw away work great too! (I've used a chocolate box without a lid before and use a strong lid now -  to organize index cards/post-it notes/tabs)
  • Products:  
Amazon.com | $1.21
You can store index cards/post-it notes or tabs in these!


Amazon.com | $4.49 (for 3)
You can store writing supplies in these!
 Amazon.com | $1.09
You can store post-it notes/tabs, scissors, tape, staplers, etc. in these!
Also, if you are going to buy these, try to find the best prices/deals (example: bulk packs). These are the most inexpensive ones I found online, you might be able to find better deals elsewhere! :)

3. Drawer organizers: 
(the pros and cons are just like the desktop organizers I mentioned in my previous post)
  • Pros: easy, have different sized storage spaces.
  • Cons: Not every product will fit perfectly (in most).
  • Price: $$
  • Quick tip! Instead of looking particularly for desk organizers, look in the kitchen section (utensil organizers) or arts & crafts sections (organizers for stamps/beads/sewing supplies/etc.)
  • Products:  Rubbermaid at Walmart seems to have the best ones! (other ones from other websites were all $15+)
Rubbermaid 21864 Drawer Organizer w/9 Compartments 14-7/8inx11-7/8inx2-1/2in BK
Walmart.com | $8-$10 (there are 2 different retailers)
Rubbermaid Extra Deep Desk Drawer Director Tray, Plastic, Black
Walmart.com | $7.94
This one is for deeper drawers!
Rubbermaid Regeneration 9-Section Drawer Organizer, Plastic, Black
Walmart.com | $5.27


Universal Recycled Drawer Organizer
Walmart.com | $6.67



4. Removable insert organizers: 


I saved the best for last! :)

  • Pros: Customizable, can be re-organized plenty of times, should fit most supplies (depending on the size of the box you have), affordable depending on where you purchase (still definitely worth the price), the BEST organizer (in my honest opinion of course)
  • Cons: might be difficult to find in stores :(
  • Price: $$-$$$ (again depends on where you purchase)
  • How I organize:
 This is actually a medicine box that I got from a local store for $1!
(also, I'm currently out of large binder clips)
My backup/extra school supply container
(will mention contents in detail in a future post!)

It has some flash cards, pencils, black markers, cap erasers & clips!
  • DIY: This is not that practical or long-lasting but I've done this before - take a plastic container (I actually used a shoebox), and use cardboard inserts to divide. (for a tray, take off the lid, for a box don't!)
  • Products: CreativeOptionsCrafts - this is the brand of my storage box (pictured above). Great quality and reasonably priced depending on where you get it. Click the "Where to Buy" tab on their website if you would like to! Also, I got my container over a year and a half ago but I'm pretty sure that it's a Large Utility Organizer (hope that helps!)

That's it for this post! Thanks a TON for reading it! Make sure you read Part 1 if you haven't yet! Are you going to use any of these methods? Or do you use any other ones? Let me know in a comment below! (hey, that rhymes!)

Please go ahead and follow or subscribe so you know when I post next! Thanks! :)

-Kavya :)
"If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?" - Albert Einstein 



8 comments:

  1. I'm truly enjoying the design and layout of your blog. It's a very easy
    on the eyes which makes it much more pleasant
    for me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a designer to create your theme?
    Superb work!

    Here is my web-site - How to Easily Hypnotize Someone Every Single Day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it! Nope, did it all by myself - I did a couple of posts on it in April (2014)!
      Thanks!
      :)

      Delete
  2. I'm curious to find out what blog system you are utilizing?
    I'm experiencing some minor security problems with my latest site and I would like to find something more risk-free.
    Do you have any suggestions?

    Also visit my blog post - Gucci Silk Scarf Replica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't quite understand what you mean by a blog system - this blog is hosted on Blogger, though.

      Have a good day! :)

      Delete
  3. Does your website have a contact page? I'm having
    a tough time locating it but, I'd like to send you an e-mail.
    I've got some recommendations for your blog you
    might be interested in hearing. Either way, great
    website and I look forward to seeing it develop over time.


    my blog :: Beats By Dre Wireless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup - here's the link - http://organizationtothemax.blogspot.com/p/contact-me.html
      Have a great day! :)

      Delete
  4. Amazing! This blog looks just like mmy old one!
    It's on a completely different subject but it has pretty much thee same
    layout and design. Excellent choice of colors!


    Also visit my homewpage Beats By Dre

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I'll try to reply as soon as I can! :)